It’s the hottest season of the year. For many, that means the most expensive season as well. According to the Department of Energy, heating and cooling bills can make up over half your total utility expenses. Here is a list of easy, no-cost ways to improve your A/C system’s efficiency.
1) Clean around the outdoor condenser unit, your outdoor unit will work most efficiently if it is clean and clear of debris.
2) Vacuum indoor vents and keep vents unblocked. You can vacuum dust and any debris away from indoor supply vents to help maintain steady airflow from your system. Also, keep items like blinds, furniture, and toys away from blocking the vents.
3) Increase your thermostat by a few degrees. Typically, adjusting temperatures 5 – 8 degrees (down in winter, up in summer) can help save money and energy. With a programmable thermostat, such as a nest, you can automatically adjust the temperature for different times. This can come in handy when you have a regular schedule where you are away from home.
4) Keep lamps and other heat-producing appliances away from your thermostat. Having heat-producing devices near your thermostat will tell it that the air in your home needs to be cooled, even if there is no real need.
5) Keep curtains and blinds closed in the heat of the day. When the direct sun hits the windows in your home, keeping your curtains or blinds closed can keep some of the heat from warming the inside of your home. Believe us, keeping the blinds closed can make a bigger difference than you might think.
6) Avoid using your dryer and oven in the hottest hours of the day. Running your dryer will cause warm air to be drawn into your home, and using your oven will add additional warm air to your home, causing your air conditioner to have to work harder.
Get The Most Efficient HVAC System Available
If you want to improve your home heating & cooling efficiency, there is no better way than to get a geothermal heating & cooling system. The average customer in MO/KS pays only $55/mo for cooling in there home even through the peak heat of summer. Give us a call. We are the top & only dedicated geothermal installers in KC. We only give our clients the best.
Installing ground source heat pumps since 1993
Contact Us Today for a free consultation.